Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Knowing No Bounds?

This past week I have been revisiting the idea of boundaries.  For my training part of my job I get to read a bunch of articles and listening to some talks and this past week we focused on the Growth Model developed by Henry Cloud and John Townsend (amazing stuff, you should check them out!).  There are 4 aspects of the Growth Model: bonding, boundaries, good-bad split and adulthood.  I really want to explain them all to you right now but for the sake of time and your sanity I won't.  All 4 aspects struck me deeply as I started to learn that I suck at each of them.  Don't feel too bad for me though because there is hope! As I realized I need to grow in each area, God gave me a deep peace and hope that he would allow me to grow.  It all started with first admitting I sucked at each of them then letting God do his handy work in my life to build me in each. 
      The aspect that has been on my mind for the past week though has been boundaries.  I thought I knew what boundaries were and I was pretty sure I had good ones.  Little did I know I actually had virtually zero.  Like I said, I suck at having boundaries. 
      It all started with first realizing what boundaries actually are.  According to Cloud and Townsend boundaries are defining yourself, defining your responsibilities, defining your limits and (this is the kicker for me) accepting your limits as "God-given".  What?! Accepting your limits as God-given? That can't be.... right?  Well, as I pondered this though provoking definition of boundaries I realized that these guys were spot on.  For as much as I didn't want to acknowledge that God has given me limitations it was most certainly true and I needed to embrace this definition boldly.  See, for most of my life I have striven to be perfect and I never wanted to embrace or really even think about the idea that I have limits and weaknesses.  It was always too scary to think that I may not have it all together so,  I just brushed my weaknesses and limits under the rug and pretended like I didn't have any.  As you can imagine this didn't work although, I made a great effort for many years putting on the show that I had everything together.  Recently, and mostly because of this move to Miami, God has been breaking down this facade of having it all together.  He is now forcing me to recognize my boundaries--to define who I am, define my responsibilities, define my limits and acknowledge my limits are God-given. 
       It is so funny how God works.  As I am learning who I really am and how God created me as well as defining my responsibilities and acknowledging God has given me limits I feel more at peace.  My outer shell has been broken down and I am being exposed for who I truly am but amidst all of this I feel more free and have the hope of soon feeling more whole.  It is so true that God needs to break us down before he can build us back up.  He is the potter and we are His clay.  To start understanding that I am the clay God helped me understand boundaries.  He was and will continue to show me my limitations and weaknesses but it's ok AND necessary for growth.  I am knowing my bounds and I am so thankful to God for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment